Character Design- Absent-Minded Alchemist


While I get together all the character design work to be uploaded onto my blog, I wanted to show off this character that I have designed for the Character design project.
My instructions were to create an alchemist, that's absent-minded, is in the process of making gold in a medieval lab and in the style of 80's and 90's video games.
At first my drawings were of elderly, balding scientists with big heads, until I started having a real look at the types of clothes medieval artisans wore. I found a lot of robes and such, as well as some images of people with hoods on as well. I really liked the look of the hoods and decided to put them into my drawings, and it worked out well as I started bringing out the hair from the hood which gave me good looking silhouettes and made the character look much more interesting. 
After talking with Justin, he suggested that the character should have big hands and feet so they look like a video game character, and that I should look at gold making processes. I tried to find real alchemical recipies for gold but to no avail, so I decided to create my own using what I have learnt from video games, comic books and films. I came up with a process that was more akin to gold plating than turning lead into solid gold, but I still think it'll work in terms of a story. The main component to this process is a element called Bismuth in it's crystal form. Bismuth crystals are incredibly bizarre. They look very alien and unnatural, plus they are incredibly colourful. In the world of this alchemist, Bismuth is a dangerous material that causes any exposed skin to pixelate if exposed long enough. This alchemist, being absent minded, has a habit of forgetting his gloves and yet still exposes himself to the crystal, causing his hand and forearm to pixelate. His clothes are also covered with the stuff, which is ground to a dust as part of the process.

Also! I'm in need of a name for him! Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Better quality version!

Comments

  1. This guy (whatever his name might be) has lots of illustrative appeal, Ollie. I find him rather charming!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Premise Script V1- Draft

@Alan - Proposed new story- Minor