Major- Ship and room designs

I wanted to design the ship before I jumped into the insides. I did this because I wanted the ship's layout to make sense and not be some kind of random mess. I started looking at ships designed in a retro 60's ish style but found most of them to look like rockets, which is not what I really wanted, or they looked too big, even when I tried to mentally scale them down while drawing. At first I tried to draw these ships, however I found more success blocking them out in 3D. I used my sketches as a starting point before adapting them into a shape that can work, below are a few examples. 








With this final model, I took a screenshot of the side and plotted the rooms of the ship.


I then took this back into Maya, modeling the rooms as I drew them here. I quickly found that the rooms were too big, leaving lots of empty space. I want a more compact space, I want the ship to feel like it can just about accommodate the one person. After fixing the room sizes, I formed the hull around the ship. This is what I created.





 Using this, I will create concept art for each room, as well as one for the exterior. This blocked out set could also be used to plot scenes for the animated look around the ship in the form of a quick animatic.

Now that I have the ship, I can start adding furniture. I have blocked it in as I made the ship as a way of planning where things will go. I would like to make it look like the captain has made it into his home, decorating the ship with things you might have in your house and car. Alongside what is said in the books, I will add things like bookshelves, a bedroom and shower, a cooking area and an area to relax. I would like to have these be in a similar style to the ship, that being 60's/70's style. I would also like to have things like fuzzy dice and a hula girl in the cockpit as well as souvenirs from the tales in the book on display, for lack of a better term, like a hunter would display their trophies. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Premise Script V1- Draft

@Alan - Proposed new story- Minor