Major- Voice Over

I have decided that a voice over should accompany my scenes, as I want to explain why I have done the things I have done in response to the material.
 It is as follows:

"Around 6 months ago, I was introduced to the works of Sanislaw Lem by a friend of mine. The first book they told me to read was called "The Star Diaries", a science fiction adventure story in the form of a diary written by main character Ijon Tichy, detailing his adventures in space and the strange things he encounters

Although the stories are interesting on their own, I found myself focusing on the details of the ship. The language used seems to fit more to a house than a spaceship, making me think of the ship as a kind of hybrid house/spaceship. The book says Ijon has a library, fireplace and a fully stocked kitchen. I like to think the first two would be in some kind of gentleman's study, along with his collections of biological specimens and meteorite collection. 

Since Ijon is a man of great importance in the scientific community, I think that he would analyse the things he finds as a kind of hobby, since he is presented as more of a explorer than a scientist, in a similar way to how Jean-Luc Picard has a interest in archaeology in Star Trek The NExt Generation.

In addition to keeping samples, I think he would take things from his journeys to investigate, perhaps as a was to prove his quite outlandish sounding tales. One such item is from one of his adventures to a planet when a species handed over all control to a machine, the machine was told to make the species lives easier. The machine responded by turning the species into pretty disks that would be placed around the planet. I don't imagine it's very nice in there, trapped in a disk with nothing to do all day.

The cockpit is normally the most interesting part of any spaceship, because that's where the action is. Not much is said about the cockpit specifically, but along with my thoughts comparing the ship to a house, I though of the cockpit like a car or caravan. In science fiction, especially the kind I've grown up with, they always used touchscreens. I always thought that was strange because touchscreens break easily and often can't be operated by anyone wearing gloves. Buttons and switches, physical methods of interaction are more reliable, you don't see many people swapping their keyboards for fancy touchscreen ones, in fact you can buy keyboards that more clicky noises when pressed.

The engine room isn't really talked about, apart from the fact it's nuclear, or atomic, powered. If we have submarines that are nuclear powered, it would make sense that nuclear powered spaceships would also be considers as both operate in similar sorts of conditions. I had an idea that this reactor on the ship just sucks the power out of the nuclear fuel so fast because of the energy requirements of the ship, which would require some method of swapping old fuel out and new fuel in, hence a giant mechanical arm to do so. Ijon is going to have enough on his plate dealing with all the weird and wonderful things he encounters on his adventures to worry about having to power his ship."


Again, I do not have the audio equipment available to me in order to record this properly, and getting someone else to do it would feel wrong. These are my thoughts on the book, both the voice over and what I have created and it wouldn't be right to have someone else say it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Premise Script V1- Draft

@Alan - Proposed new story- Minor