Major- A new Proposal

For my Major project, I propose to make an animated environment based on The Star Diaries (1957, expanded upon 1971), specifically the main character's spaceship.

The book, written by Polish author Stanislaw Lem, features a space adventurer documenting his various adventures on different planets or experiences of various phenomena. The adventures are generally lighthearted, mainly humorous rather than serious. He goes to many different planets and sees many different races and things.
The interpretation of the main character, Ijon Tichy, I made was that he is some kind of rich and eccentric person that wanted to explore the stars, and so brought a starship and took to the stars.He's similar to Indiana Jones, except in space and more humorous, at least in my opinion. He also has a home on earth which is large enough to require robot butlers and servants. His ship is refereed to as a rocket in the books, however this could just be a translation error as the book was originally written in Polish. Over his adventures, Tichy comes across many different objects and people and I believe that someone like him would take souvenirs, either freely given or, most likely, stolen.

I am planning to build and animate a scene in which the various rooms mentioned in the book are shown. The cockpit, kitchen, engine room, library and a bedroom are all mentioned over the various chapters, and there is something in each room that could be animated, either something small or something larger, such as a nuclear reactor in the engine room as the ship is nuclear or atomic powered.

I'd like to look into a retro sci fi kind of style that was big when the book was written as it would add a stylized look to the whole project, but I would also like to look at a more modern look for it. I will look into researching both styles initially before setting on a style. I would like to have designs for both outside and inside the ship, I think focusing on building and animating the inside is the smarter idea, as then I would not need to build a spaceship in Maya (although depending on the design of the ship, it might be a good thing to do in my free time).


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Premise Script V1- Draft

@Alan - Proposed new story- Minor